Wednesday, May 8, 2013

You're right. It's not me, it IS you...

Disclaimer: I found this in drafts from forever ago. I held off on posting it because at the time the guy did read this blog and I didn't feel it would be right morally to shame him so publicly, with him watching. Knowing he'd be squirming. So now seems right since I just posted my farewell to you followers, here's one last gem about a single MOB.

 

I once met a guy who seemed like a potential example of What It Should Look Like.  In one month's time, we went on 2 coffee dates; we had a nice time talking and laughing. There was no kissing or hand-holding. We texted occasionally and seemed to both respect each other having a very busy schedule.

And then:

I feel rushed... Things are moving too fast... I feel pressured, like there's an expectation on me. It's nothing you've done, you haven't pressured me or rushed things. I know, two coffee dates isn't much. And I know I was the one to ask you out... It's not you, it's me. It's an external pressure. And I really like being single, being able to explore my options and I feel like there's this pressure...But I like spending time with you too. You're insanely gorgeous and it's nice to be around someone who can hold an intelligent conversation. I selfishly don't even want to tell you this, because I know you don't want your time wasted and you aren't looking for a casual thing and I'm worried you're not going to want to see me again.


Come on! That all translates into, "If I tell you this and you DO keep seeing me, I don't have to feel bad about hooking up with other women, because I gave you the heads up. Sweet!"

I appreciate his 'brutal honesty.' It stopped me from wasting anymore of my time.


But that is not what it should look like. It's what friends with benefits looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment